Infographics are a fantastic way to get your audience’s attention, claim territory as an expert in your field, gain followers or build brand recognition. But, there’s an art to creating a compelling infographic.
1. Show me the numbers
- Use data. It’s powerful.
- Use numbers to illustrate an overall concept
- Fact‐check your numbers for reliability and credibility
- State your sources or provide a link to them
2. Less is more
- Don’t write a book
- Summarize content from longer texts available elsewhere
- Too much content? Consider creating multiple infographics.
3. Tell a story
- Write a great headline
- Answer a compelling question facing your audience
- Generate an emotional response to your message
- Illustrate a process or service model
4. Think in pictures
- Think visually as you write. Can your words be illustrated?
- Use ‘visual’ words to inspire creative. “A birds‐eye view” inspires visuals more than “Corporate Overview”
5. Make it shareable
- Format graphics to fit each social network’s dimensions
- Short & sweet—less is more, especially on social media
- Maximize your social media presence by dividing larger infographics into multiple posts